This is a great opportunity for a highly organised and passionate Laboratory Manager to join the staff at Woodleigh School, a leader in the delivery of contemporary, holistic coeducation.
Full time position. Five weeks annual leave. Start asap.
Head of Science
The Laboratory Manager would be expected:
- To prepare equipment, chemicals and resources etc. as requested by science staff for science practical work
- To ensure that science equipment is correctly stored and maintained.
- To ensure the safety of the science environment
- To process the ordering and invoicing of the science budget, in liaison with the Head of Faculty
- To communicate with staff for efficient time management of equipment and resources
- To co-operate in the shared workspace
- Excellent communication, conflict resolution and negotiation skills.
- Ability to work co-operatively with science staff and Head of Faculty
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and as a member of a multidisciplinary professional team.
- Understanding and experience in working with young people from various cultural backgrounds.
- Ability to develop positive working relationships with other staff and with students; customer service skills i.e. friendly and helpful personality
- Good IT skills e.g. Computer literate especially Word and Excel
- Efficient time management skills
- A commitment to on-going training & development.
- Current and continuing commitment to Equal Opportunity and Workplace Health & Safety in all aspects of employment and service delivery
- Experience as a Laboratory Technician/Manager in a school or similar educational institution
- Familiarity with requirements concerning Chemical Safety in Schools.
- Tertiary Diploma/TAFE Certificate IV qualification in Chemistry, Laboratory Management or acceptable equivalent.
Applications close at 5pm on Friday 25 August.
All applications are to be directed to the Principal, Mr Jonathan Walter.
Overview of Responsibilities
PREPARATION OF PRACTICAL EQUIPMENT AND RESOURCES
- Prepare equipment as requested through the Outlook calendar and appointment booking system
- Prepare chemicals accurately
- Process ordering and invoicing of budget requisites
- Experience with chemistry, physics and biological equipment and resources required in all academic areas
- Liaison with teaching staff regarding preparation and safety requirements and legislation
- Be responsible for preparing and maintaining the Chemical registers for the Woodleigh School including all appropriate MSDS documentation
- Ensure equipment is correctly stored
- Manage a safe working environment
- Manage repairs, maintenance and inspections of all equipment
- Maintain the stock management system of chemicals and equipment within the faculty
OH&S WORK HEALTH & SAFETY
- Ensure that all practical equipment and chemicals are ordered through the Risk Assess ordering system and communicate with staff for support of all staff delivering science subjects
- Comply with safe operating practices when handling chemicals and equipment in accordance with Woodleigh School policy and procedures
- Other duties as required.
Located on Victoria's Mornington Peninsula, Woodleigh School is an independent, coeducational school comprising two Junior Campuses (ECC-Year 6) in Frankston South and Moorooduc and a Senior Campus in Langwarrin South.
Woodleigh is a community that strongly values a holistic education. It is a place where students are known and valued, where boys and girls grow into independent, creative, resilient individuals together.
Woodleigh is a school of dynamic, academically rigorous learning, which reflects and responds to the world we live in today. Whilst very definitely an academic school, with fine VCE results equipping the large majority of students for tertiary study, it also provides a number of other very important dimensions that prepare all students for the challenges of life in the twenty first century.
Woodleigh affirms openness, independence, self motivation and initiative, and never limits students to predetermined outcomes. Woodleigh is entirely coeducational, committed to the belief that this is the only suitable setting to educate both boys and girls for adult life.
Woodleigh School is an equal opportunity employer.