Year 9 English and Humanities Teacher – Immediate Start
This is a great opportunity for an exemplary teacher to join the staff at Woodleigh School, a leader in the delivery of contemporary, personalised coeducation.
0.8 FTE - Full Time
English and Humanities Faculty Heads
ASAP start for duration of 2018 Academic Year
As a member of staff you belong to a learning community with a fundamental commitment to:
- A positive and respectful relationship between staff and students
- Restorative practice approaches to conflict resolution
- Maximising opportunities for learning, growth and development
- Challenging and extending the traditional learning boundaries
- Creating learning environments where students feel safe, secure and valued whilst being challenged to define and pursue their own level of excellence
- Creating learning experiences which are experiential, real and relevant to students lives
As a teacher you are responsible for:
- Designing and implementing learning and teaching programs using knowledge of curriculum, assessment and reporting requirements
- Developing teaching activities that incorporate differentiated strategies to meet the specific learning needs of students across the full range of abilities.
- Using effective teaching strategies to integrate ICT into learning and teaching programs to make selected content relevant and meaningful.
- Planning and implementing well- structured learning and teaching programs or lesson sequences that engage students and promote learning.
- Selecting and using relevant teaching strategies to develop knowledge, skills, problem solving and critical and creative thinking.
- Establishing and maintaining orderly and workable routines to create an environment where student time is spent on learning tasks.
- Providing timely, effective and appropriate feedback to students about their achievement relative to their learning goals.
- Creating a positive learning environment where every student has the opportunity to learn
- Contribute to collegial discussions and apply constructive feedback from colleagues to improve professional knowledge and practice.
- Undertaking teaching of English and Humanities from Year 7 -12.
- Undertaking other duties as required and which are relevant to the position as directed by the Head of English.
- Attending Parent/Teacher nights
- Participating in the Camps and Activities programs
- Contributing to student wellbeing, including working with students and assisting with the delivery of relevant programs
As a member of the staff team you are responsible for:
- Sharing your learning with colleagues, and taking an active role in improving the quality of teaching at the School
- Your ongoing professional growth through the Professional Growth model
- Being an active participant at a faculty level to ensure the ongoing improvement of the learning culture within the school
- Attending all regular staff meetings
- Attending and being an active contributor to faculty learning projects, curriculum planning, implementation and assessment
- Attending and being an active contributor to the Homestead program
As a member of the Woodleigh learning community you are responsible for:
- Working in line with the policies and guidelines established by the School and Victorian Institute of Teachers (VIT)
- Being an ambassador for Woodleigh School, articulating its values and participating positively in information sessions and social functions for parents and the broader community
Conditions of Employment:
- Victorian Institute of Teaching Registration (VIT) is required for this position.
- Qualification and First Aid Training confirmation is required for this position.
- Woodleigh is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to appointing staff on the basis of merit.
- At Woodleigh School we have a zero tolerance for child abuse and are committed to acting in children's best interests and keeping them safe from harm. All staff are to abide by the Child Safety Code of Conduct.
- It is a condition of employment that all staff take responsibility for a safe and healthy work environment and have a commitment to equal employment opportunity and a workplace free from discrimination and harassment.
- Woodleigh operates a smoke-free work environment.
The Woodleigh Teacher
- Encourages a culture of mutual respect, inquiry, innovation and learning
- Emphasises the Woodleigh model for Personalised Learning in their professional practice (real world, experiential learning; assessment for learning; life-long learning skills; coaching and mentoring; and wellbeing and engagement.)
- Communicates effectively with students and families about learning activities and student progress
- Sets high academic achievement expectations
- Identifies and supports students’ social, emotional, and behavioural learning needs
- Facilitates, designs and engages with effective collaboration
- Provides timely feedback and collaborates with others to offer specialised support
- Differentiates instruction based on feedback and learning needs
Applications close at 5pm on Friday 23 February.
All applications are to be directed to the Principal, Mr Jonathan Walter.
Located on Victoria's Mornington Peninsula, Woodleigh School is an independent, coeducational school comprising two Junior Campuses (ECC-Year 6) in Frankston South and Moorooduc and a Senior Campus in Langwarrin South.
Woodleigh is a community that strongly values a holistic education. It is a place where students are known and valued, where boys and girls grow into independent, creative, resilient individuals together.
Woodleigh is a school of dynamic, academically rigorous learning, which reflects and responds to the world we live in today. Whilst very definitely an academic school, with fine VCE results equipping the large majority of students for tertiary study, it also provides a number of other very important dimensions that prepare all students for the challenges of life in the twenty first century.
Woodleigh affirms openness, independence, self motivation and initiative, and never limits students to predetermined outcomes. Woodleigh is entirely coeducational, committed to the belief that this is the only suitable setting to educate both boys and girls for adult life.
Woodleigh School is an equal opportunity employer.