Collection Notice for parents/guardians 2021 Student Residential Address and Other Information
The Australian Government Department of Education, Skills and Employment (the department) would like to advise you that a request has been made for your child’s school to provide residential address and other information as required under the Australian Education Regulation 2013 (Cth).
The school is required to provide the department with the following information about each student at the school:
- Names and residential addresses of students’ parent(s) and/or guardian(s)
- Student residential address (excluding student names)
- Whether the student is a primary or secondary student (education level)
- Whether the student is boarding or a day student (boarding status)
Your child’s school generates a unique and unidentifiable record number for each student record. The number is only used by the school for this collection. It is not allowed to be used for any other purpose. The number indicates to the department that each record provided is for one student.
Purpose of the collection
The Student Residential Address and Other Information Collection (the Collection) informs Australian Government school education policy and helps ensure funding for non-government schools is based on need.
The information collected will be used to inform school funding calculations. It is combined with data held by the Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) to calculate a non-government school community’s anticipated capacity to contribute to the costs of schooling.
From 2020, a new measure of capacity to contribute, the Direct Measure of Income (DMI), was introduced. The DMI is based on the median income of parents or guardians of students at a non-government school using data collected through the Collection. More information about the DMI can be found at https://www.education.gov.au/what-direct-measure-income.
Use and disclosure of personal information
Your personal information is protected by law under the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth) (Privacy Act). Personal information is information or an opinion about an identifiable individual. Personal information includes an individual’s name and contact details.
Any use or disclosure of your personal information must occur in accordance with Privacy Act and the Australian Education Act 2013 and Australian Education Regulation 2013.
Your personal information provided to the department through the Collection may be:
- disclosed to the ABS for the purposes of capacity to contribute calculations and analysis as a part of the Multi-Agency Data Integration Project (MADIP). Further information about MADIP can be found on the MADIP page on the ABS website.
- disclosed to a contracted auditor where the department may from time to time, carry out an audit of a school’s submission to the Collection. The contracted auditor compares the school’s submission with the student enrolment information held by the school and will not use the information for any other purpose
- disclosed to its service providers for the purposes of the provision of information and communications technology support services to the department
- used or disclosed where it is otherwise required or authorised by law.
The department does not intend to disclose your personal information to any overseas recipients.
- how individuals can access and seek correction of the personal information held by the department;
- how complaints about potential breaches or breaches of the Privacy Act can be made;
- how the department will deal with these complaints.
The department commissioned an independent privacy impact assessment (PIA). The PIA assesses the flows of information under the Collection, compliance with the Privacy Act and measures in place to safeguard the personal information being collected. The report is being updated, and will be available in 2021 on the SchoolsHUB Address Collection help and support page. The current version is available at https://docs.education.gov.au/node/51436.
What do you need to do?
You are not required to do anything. Your school is responsible for providing the requested details to the department; however, you may wish to ensure that your school has the most up-to-date and correct details for your family.
Contacts for further information
Your school can provide additional information about the Collection process. Alternatively, please visit the SchoolsHUB Address Collection help and support page.