Term 2, 2021 VCE Update
Welcome back to Term 2 for VCE. It is a challenging and busy time ahead with many subjects scheduling assessments throughout the coming weeks and an examination period for Units 1 & 2 during Weeks 7 & 8.
Students must continue to progress through the requirements for S in each of their subjects and discuss any concerns with their relevant teacher(s). Thank you for your continued support as we make our way through the 2021 academic year.
Specific details regarding the exam period near the end of term are listed below, including the first external assessment from the VCAA – the GAT. Formal correspondence about each of the items listed below will be coming through as an Operoo as well.
VCAA External Assessment – General Achievement Test (GAT)
The General Achievement Test (GAT) is the first external assessment administered by the VCAA for all students enrolled in one or more VCE or scored VCE VET Unit 3 and 4 sequences – this includes students on an unscored program. It is scheduled to take place on Wednesday 9 June.
- do not count directly towards a student’s VCE results
- help check that school-based and external assessments have been accurately assessed
- contribute to statistical moderation of school-based assessment results
- help calculate Derived Examination Scores
- determine scores in school-based assessment, external assessment, and if a derived examination score is required due to illness, accident, and trauma.
Past study of subjects like English, Mathematics, Science, and History prepares students for the GAT by building their general knowledge and writing, numeracy, and reasoning skills.
Students will have an information and practice session later in this term where the details about exam rules, processes, and purposes are discussed.
General Achievement Test (GAT) scheduled for Wednesday 9 June – Week 8.
- All students enrolled in a Year 12 subject or a scored VET program
- Duration – 10am-1:15pm
- Location – Senior Homestead (V4, V5, V6, V7) – students will be notified
- No classes will run for Year 12 students at all on that day.
- Year 11 students not involved in the GAT will be completing subject exams during this time and, as such, will also not have classes on this day. More details will be provided on this in separate correspondence once the examination timetable has been finalised.
- Buses will be running as per usual.
- Supervised private study will be available in the afternoon for students wishing to remain at school.
- Some essential information about the GAT and its uses can be found here
- A reminder of the GAT Exam Rules and Authorised Materials can be found here – a dictionary (without thesaurus) is allowed, but no calculators
Year 11 Unit 1 Subject Examinations, 2021
The Year 11 Unit 1 Examination period will begin on Tuesday 1 June and conclude on Wednesday 9 June. For this exam week, students in Year 11 are required at school only when they have examinations. We accept that some students study better for examinations at home. Thus we ask these students to sign out in Senior Homestead and that they are collected from school by parents or guardians. Students who wish to remain at school must sign in at Senior Homestead and study in the Senior Common Room or V1 and V2. They may also organise to meet with available staff for additional study assistance.
No timetabled classes will be running for any Year 11 during the exam period – any student undertaking a Year 12 subject(s) will need to make arrangements to attend those classes as required. Those students completing a Year 12 subject will also be sitting the GAT on Wednesday 9 June at 10 am-1:15 pm, which will be included in the exam timetable.
Acting VCE Coordinator