Year 1 Update
What a whirlwind week we have had to start our time together! It has been jam-packed in the Year 1 classroom. The children have all settled in well and enjoy catching up with each other, sharing holiday news, and learning and exploring together. A primary focus this week has been to reconnect and establish a cohesive learning community. The concept of community will be explored in depth throughout the term.
It was lovely meeting many of you at the Parent Information Night on Wednesday, and I look forward to catching up with you all again during week 4. If you have any concerns before then, please don’t hesitate to reach out earlier.
Unit of Inquiry
Our first unit of inquiry in Year 1 comes under the transdisciplinary theme of ‘Who We Are.’ The unit's central idea is – Exploring beliefs and values within the community helps people understand and make connections to people and places.
We will be inquiring into –
- Diversity in communities (including families)
- Beliefs and values that connect us to people & places
- How we express our beliefs and values to connect to others
We will explore questions such as –
- What are values and beliefs?
- What is a community?
- What values are essential (personal/family, class, school)?
- How do you recognise values in day-to-day life?
- What actions demonstrate our values?
This term, we will be developing the following literacy skills -
- use of punctuation
- love of reading
- spelling using knowledge from RWInc.
- use of capital letters and full stops
- recount and imaginative writing
- handwriting – letter formation and placement
Speaking and Listening;
- listening to others
- taking part in group discussions
- making short presentations
This term, we will be developing the following numeracy skills –
- Representing and modelling numbers using place value
- Counting & ordering numbers using place value
- Partitioning and combining numbers using place value
- Describing properties of shapes
- Organising shapes using their properties
Wednesday 17 February will be our first Discovery Day out. As this will be our first session as the new 1/2 cohort, we will spend the time walking through the three sites starting at the beach. More details will be shared shortly. We will send out a roster for parent helpers to come on our Discovery Days during Term 1. Without the parent's help, we are unable to run the days.
If you have any questions, please feel free to send me an email.
Looking forward to a great 2021!!
Key Dates for Term 1
- 10 February – Wildlife XPosure incursion
- 15-18 February – Parent/Teacher Interviews
- 24 February – Body Safety Parent Workshop (Zoom)
- 8 March – Labour Day (Public Holiday)
- 24 March – The Resilience Project Parent Webinar
1 April – Sports Morning at Penbank
Term 1 ends (dismiss 3.20 pm)
- 20 April – Term 2 begins
Year 1 Class Teacher