Years 1 & 2 in Term 2
Welcome to Term 2!
It was great to venture out to our beach and Sweetwater Creek sites for Discovery Day and explore all the sites together for a day. We look forward to forming our new groups and working together to develop new relationships.
Unit of Inquiry
In our inquiry unit, we've been exploring the central idea, 'Materials can be used and combined in different ways for creative expression.'
Our key lines of Inquiry are:
- How the observable properties of materials influence the way they are used
- The connection between technology and materials
- Ways we can use and combine materials to express ourselves creatively.
Students have looked at the properties of different materials such as paper, wire, and found natural materials. The children have been open-minded learners, looking beyond the typical function to think critically about creative ways to use these materials. It has been great to see the children learn and inspire each other as they create their own forms of artistic expression.
Year 1 & 2 enjoyed a morning with Emma Anna (local international artist) exploring different paper materials to creatively express their ideas through collage.
Our next unit will be inquiring into how people’s daily life is connected to the place in which they live.
Throughout Term 2 we will –
- strengthen our phonic understanding through our Read Write Inc. sessions, reading decodable books and through writing
- develop our understanding of the characteristics, systems and purpose of recount writing, narrative writing, and information text
- continue to improve our handwriting through practice, demonstrating developing formation, spacing, pencil grip and placement
- develop the reading skills of fluency and expression during Read, Write Inc., quiet reading, and through the take-home reading program
- have opportunities to express ourselves orally and improve listening skills.
In our maths sessions this term, we will explore -
- estimating, modelling, and representing addition and subtraction
- patterns related to addition and subtraction
- simple addition and subtraction problems using a range of strategies, including counting on, partitioning and rearranging parts
- number sequences to and from 100 by ones from any starting point. Skip count by twos, fives and tens starting from zero and non-zero numbers.
We look forward to a busy term!
LIANE & LEXI
Year 1 & 2 Teachers